April 30, 2011

SUAMA

Suama [Rice cake]

Suama is one of Japanese sweets. It’s a kind of rice cake. I love it but I couldn’t eat this one because I am in Marshall. But, one day I found rice powder in the super market and can make Suama with a microwave.
I had never made suama because we could buy from the stores or the confectionaries in Japan.Now I can make suama by myself.

One day I made suama and gave it to my Japanese colleague, and they said

“What’s this???”

Me:“Why don’t you know this???”

I was shocked that they, even same Japanese, don’t know what this sweet is. I researched with Wikipedia. It said only Tokyo area and Northern area people knew suama. Oh,my…I was really shocked because they never knew it. I’ve love it since I was little and I was thinking all Japanese people know it. Of course, by accident, only my 2 colleagues didn’t know and the other knew it. Some of them love it.

I was making it so many times that’s why our ukulele group’s name became Mi-gao[rice cake in Chinese]. Tomorrow I’ll make suama and make my students eat suama…!

No comments:

Post a Comment